Monkland History

Monklands history goes back as far as the Doomsday Book and is best known as the resting place of
Henry Williams Baker, the ed­it­or-in-chief of the An­gl­ican Hymns An­cient and Mo­dern.


In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Monkland thus:


MONKLAND, a parish, with a village, in Leominster district, Hereford;
on the river Arrow, 2¾ miles SW by W of Leominster r. station. Post town,
Leominster. Acres, 1,079. Real property, £2,035. Pop., 211. Houses, 48. The
property is snbdivided. The manor belongs to G. Bengough, Esq. A Benedictine
priory, a cell to Conches abbey, in Normandy, was founded here, in the time of
William Rufus, by Ralph Toni; and was given, at the suppression of alien
monasteries, to the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The living is a vicarage in the
diocese of Hereford. Value, £250. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The
church is early English; the chancel was rebuilt in an ungainly manner, in
1825; the nave was repaired in 1853; and the entire fabric, at a cost of about
£1,000, was restored in 1865. There are a national school, and charities £5.